DCP is delighted to be involved with Spurgeon’s College on their ambitious scheme to develop additional educational facilities at their campus in South Norwood.
The project proposal is currently under local public consultation – virtually – with the results helping to inform the planning application due to be submitted later this year.
In addition to two new buildings on the site which will provide a range of lecture theatres, a new library, dining hall and social spaces, the existing main building – Walker House – will be sympathetically extended to provide a circa 160 seat chapel, lecturers’ offices and administration facilities.
Working with Reveal Projects, Daniel Connal Partnership has been appointed as quantity surveyor and employer’s agent on this exciting project.
Walker House, designed by architect Henry Adair Rawlins, and locally listed, was built as a private residence around 1890. It subsequently passed to the Hay Walker family, who donated the house and around 6 acres of woodland to Spurgeon’s College in the 1920s.
There have been additions and alterations to the main house and its environs over the years, but the proposed new development will facilitate the aspirations of Spurgeon’s College to increase the quality, capacity and flexibility of the teaching facilities on offer, enabling the expansion of courses available to students and ultimately securing the college’s long term viability.
Fun fact: at an early meeting with the client we discovered that Daniel Connal Partnership had worked with Spurgeon’s College before – way back in 1995 – when we provided a feasibility study. We are very much looking forward to building on that past relationship.