Building Pathology is the study and resolution of defects in buildings and other structures.
Typical issues assessed might be:
- The physical failure of structural components (especially roofs and balconies).
- Penetrating damp, rising damp, cold bridging and condensation.
- Thermal insulation
- Deleterious materials such as asbestos
- Insect infestation e.g. woodworm, death watch beetle etc.
- Wood rot e.g. dry rot and wet rot .
- Moisture movement and thermal movement.
- Ground movement/subsidence, settlement
- Trees resulting in structural failure of foundation and wells.
Our experienced building surveyors use their knowledge, skill and expertise to identify, investigate and determine the nature of building defects and recommend the most appropriate course of action to remedy the problem.
We use a range of non invasive investigation techniques as well as specialist equipment (state of the art thermal imaging cameras, hygrometers, anemometers, flow rate meters, endoscopes, rigid cavity cameras and air leakage testing equipment) to help us understand what is happening to buildings.
Building Pathology can be used to:
Provide confidence to purchaser or tenant
Establish liability for dilapidations
Diagnose defects when they appear
Provide a strategy for repairs/maintenance
Provide Expert Witness Evidence